Romanshorn to Rorschach
Situated on the south side of Lake Constance (Bodensee) in the canton of St Gallen, and below the meadowed slopes of the Rorsachachberg, is the harbour town of Rorschach with its lovely lakeside promenade with 1920s bathing huts and stately public buildings. The hallmark of Rorschach the Kornhaus, a former granary built in 1749, in the Hauptstrasse emblem of a once-thriving grain trade between St Gallen and Germany, and the former Benedictine Abbey of Mariaberg (now the Kantonales Lehrerseminar) are listed as Swiss heritage sites of national significance.
Other buildings of importance in Rorschach to look out for are the Catholic parish church of Sankt Kolumban and Konstantius and the Jakobsbrunnen (St. James’ fountain). Also the Mariaberg Monastery, built between 1487 and 1489, with Gothic cloister and chapter house, now a teacher training college. A rack railway makes its way up the slopes of the Rorschachberg from the Hafenbahnhof to the health resort of Heiden.