A delicious, traditional, sweet treat to make at home, but remember to keep the children well away from the hot pans as sugar reaches very high temperatures.
8 small apples
400 g white sugar
½ teaspoon white vinegar
120 ml water
½ teaspoon red food colouring (optional)
1. Cover a baking tray with a large sheet of greaseproof paper.
2. Wash and dry your apples and insert thicken wooden skewers or lollipop sticks into each apple.
3. Combine the water, sugar and vinegar in a small heavy based pan.
4. Bring the mixture to the boil and add the food colouring if you’re using it.
5. Heat the mixture to 150°C and simmer for about 20 minutes. If you don’t have a sugar thermometer then just test the mixture after 20 mins by dropping a spoonful into a cup of cold water. The mixture should become hard and will crack when you tap it with the back of a metal spoon.
6.Remove from the heat and allow the mixture to stop bubbling before dipping the apples,one by one, into the mixture (you’ll need to tilt the pan a little).
7. Rotate the apple, letting it drain a little then place on the greaseproof paper to cool down and harden.
Discover a wealth of information on travelling by Motorhome, Caravan or Boat when planning your holiday or trip of a lifetime
Which ever way you wish to travel, do it with style!