Dates : 25th November – 23rd December 2019
Opening Times : Mon-Thu 10am-8.30pm
Schlachte Magic Christmas Market
Daily 11am-8.30pm, Saturdays until 10.00pm
Christmas is in the air on the banks of the River Weser. Boats glisten as they catch the festive blue lights from the harbour. The wintry air is filled with the warming aroma of smoked fish and freshly baked bread. The promenade along the river is transformed into Schlachte “magic”, a festive treat offering historical, seasonal and maritime attractions. Walking past the fortifications of towers and imposing wooden palisades, visitors will feel as if they have stepped back in time to the Middle Ages. Crafts-men, market sellers, jugglers and street entertainers all add to the atmosphere, recreating a bygone era when the cog ships would return from afar to the Hanseatic port of Bremen laden with valuable cargo.
Christmas Markets – Weihnachtsmarkt – Marche de Noël – Mercatino di Natale – Mercados de Navidad
German Christmas Markets or Weihnachtsmarkt,have now become popular and are a welcome and familiar sight in many of the cities, towns and villages throughout Europe during the season of Advent.
Whether visiting a local Christmas Market or taking a Christmas Market Tour, the wonderful festive atmosphere will be sure to lift your spirits and bring the Christmas cheer a little closer.
Wrap up warm and wander along the rows of pretty wooden chalets taking in the rich, warming aromas associated with Christmas such as hot roast chestnuts, grilled bratwurst sausages, crepes or pancakes, hot doughnuts, gingerbreads and Gluhwein or Mulled wines or ciders. You can sample the marzipan figures, chocolate covered fruits or one of the many festive delicacies on offer from around the world. There are all kinds of Christmas gifts and decorations, especially traditional things such as tree decorations, wood carvings, crib figures, traditional toys, candles, hand-knitted jumpers, lambskin slippers and glassware, you will be able to find that special little something that will be a unique gift for someone to treasure. Children will be excited to meet with Santa Claus and maybe, just maybe!! there will be a little present for them too!
Bremen was once a member of the medieval Hanseatic League and is still one of the most important cities in northern Germany. Together with the city of Bremerhaven on the North Sea it forms Germany’s smallest state. Bremen has more than 1200 years of history, and was, for most of its existence, an independent city-state.
- Stroll around the city center and visit the Schnoor-Viertel with its old medieval buildings. If interested in arts visit the Bremer Kunsthalle (museum of art) with one of north Germany’s finest collections.
- If you like football, you can go to see a match of Werder Bremen , a team playing in the Bundesliga (German premier league). You can also visit their stadium (Weser Stadion) for a few euros.
- Universum Bremen is a hands-on science centre towards the north of the city. It is accessible by tram, or by a one hour walk from the main station through Der Bürgerpark .
- If you want to see green fields, cows, bikers and in line skaters, visit “Blockland” (site in German with some pictures) to enjoy the agricultural side of Bremen´s nature. It is located near the river Wümme, roughly in the west of the university. You can drive (by bike or skates) along the dyke and take an icecream at one of the farms (some also sell organic food). In winter there is no icecream but the river and small creeks for iceskating.
- Indoor ice skating is at Paradice, the skating hall in Walle (, site in German). Paradice is opened from October to February.
- A good place to get in touch with the locals is taking a stroll along the river Weser on the scenic Osterdeich, where – in good weather – lots of little groups hanging out on the grassy hills may invite you to barbecue with them or have a beer.
- Don’t miss the beautiful Bürgerpark either, a beautiful, fairly large park right in the middle of the city, which has a little Central Park vibe to it. Have a drink in the renowned “Emma” Café, rent a boat and paddle around the many little rivers, mini-golf or sit down in the grass enjoying some tasty ice cream.
Discover a wealth of information on travelling by Motorhome, Caravan or Boat when planning your holiday or trip of a lifetime
Which ever way you wish to travel, do it with style!