Europe has amzing, scenery, destinations, locations, towns and villages, so trying to choose the The Most Beautiful Towns and Villages in Europe is no easy feat. We have managed to narrow it down to the Top 10 most beautiful through our own personal points of view, taking in such things as location, buildings, culture and personal taste. We hope you enjoy our Most Beautiful Towns and Villages in Europe. If you think we have left one out that should be on our list, send it to us and we will consider if we should add it to our list, or we will create a page sent in by our readers of our viewers Most Beautiful Towns and Villages in Europe.
Reine is the administrative centre of Moskenes Municipality in Nordland county, Norway. The fishing village is located on the island of Moskenesøya in the Lofoten archipelago, above the Arctic Circle, about 300 kilometres (190 mi) southwest of the town of Tromsø. Reine Church is located here and it serves the northern part of the municipality. Lofoten is known for a distinctive scenery with dramatic mountains and peaks, open sea and sheltered bays, beaches and untouched lands. The sea is rich with life, and the world’s largest deep water coral reef, called the Røst Reef, is located west of Røst. Reine has been a commercial centre since 1743. Today tourism is important, and despite its remote location, many thousands of people visit annually. The village is situated on a promontory just off the European route E10 highway, which passes through the village. Reine is located immediately to the south of Sakrisoya and Hamnøya.
Hallstatt, Situated in the South-Western shore of the Hallstätter See in the Salzkammergut region of Upper Austria, lies the lake town of Hallstatt. Hallstatt is known for its production of salt, dating back to prehistoric times, and gave its name to the Hallstatt culture, a culture often linked to Celtic, Proto-Celtic, and pre-Illyrian peoples in Early Iron Age Europe, c.800–450 BCE. Some of the earliest archaeological evidence for the Celts was found in Hallstatt.
Colmar is situated in the Grand Est region of France and is also the seat of the highest jurisdiction in Alsace, the appellate court. It is situated along the Alsatian Wine Route and considers itself to be the “Capital of Alsatian Wine” (capitale des vins d’Alsace). Colmar is the home town of the painter and engraver Martin Schongauer and the sculptor Frédéric Bartholdi, who designed the Statue of Liberty. The city is renowned for its well preserved old town, its numerous architectural landmarks and its museums, among which the Unterlinden Museum.
Giethoorn is a village in the Dutch province of Overijssel. It is located in the municipality of Steenwijkerland, about 5 km southwest of Steenwijk. Giethoorn used to be a carfree town known in the Netherlands as “Venice of the North” or “Venice of the Netherlands”. Giethoorn has over 150 bridges. It became locally famous, especially after 1958, when the Dutch film maker Bert Haanstra made his famous comedy “Fanfare” there. In the old part of the village, there were no roads(nowadays there is a cycling path), and all transport was done by water over one of the many canals. The lakes in Giethoorn were formed by peat unearthing.
Collonges-la-Rouge is a village in the Corrèze department in the Limousin region of France. Collonges la Rouge is entirely built with red sandstone from the local quarry and has been in exsistence since the 8th century ( The marketplaces date back to the 16th and 17th centuries, and the covered passage is listed as a historical monument.), when the monks of Charroux Abbey founded a priory. Peasants, craftesmen and tradesmen all move to the area and propspered around the abbey walls on the trade of Pilgrims who were travelling to Compestelle in Spain from Rocamadour. Collonges la Rouge is a memeber of the Les Plus Beaux Villages de France association (“The most beautiful villages of France”), and is actually where this association was created. Its one of the most visited sites in the Limousin.
Manarola (Manaea in the local dialect) is a small town, a frazione of the comune of Riomaggiore, in the province of La Spezia, Liguria, northern Italy. It is the second smallest of the famous Cinque Terre towns frequented by tourists. Manarola may be the oldest of the towns in the Cinque Terre, with the cornerstone of the church, San Lorenzo, dating from 1338. The local dialect is Manarolese, which is marginally different from the dialects in the nearby area. The name “Manarola” is probably dialectical evolution of the Latin, “magna rota”. In the Manarolese dialect this was changed to “magna roea” which means “large wheel”, in reference to the mill wheel in the town.
St.Martin-an-der-Weinstrasse is a beautiful village at the Southern Wine Road in the Rheinland Pfalz. The area has been inhabited since Roman times although the first written record was in 1149 however a village has been here since the 7th century. The medieval town centre, which is listed, combines traditional sandstone buildings with every modern comfort on the inside.
Ronda is a city in Spanish province of Málaga. It is located about 100 kilometres (62 mi) Northwest from the city of Málaga, within the autonomous community of Andalusia. Around the city are remains of prehistoric settlements dating to the Neolithic Age, including the rock paintings of Cueva de la Pileta. Ronda was however first settled by the early Celts, who, in the 6th century BC, called it Arunda. Later Phoeniciansettlers established themselves nearby to found Acinipo, known locally as Ronda la Vieja, Arunda or Old Ronda. The current Ronda is however of Roman origins, having been founded as a fortified post in the Second Punic War, by Scipio Africanus. Ronda received the title of city at the time of Julius Caesar.
The beautiful village of Gstaad is situated in the western Bernese Oberland in Switzerland. Gstaad was formed in the Middle Ages for its position at the fork of the trails into the Valais and Vaud regions. It contained an inn and a warehouse for storing goods and had oxen to help pull the wagons over the Alpine passes. The St Nicholas chapel was built in 1402 and its murals date to from the second half of the 15th century and the beautiful font with its rich decorations is of 17th-century origin. The village was mainly a farming community rearing cows and growing crops until the great fire which swept through the village in 1898. After the fire Gstaad was rebuilt in the traditional style with wooden chalets and, as tourism was now a growing industry, many hotels soon followed. The construction of the Montreux- Oberland Bernois railway in 1905 and ski-runs opening in 1905 and 1907 began to bring tourists to Gstaad and the first ski-school opened here in 1923. It is part of the municipality of Saanen and is known as a major ski resort and a popular destination amongst high-class society and the international Jet set.
Clovelly Village is situated in the Torridge district of Devon and is a major tourist attraction, famous for its history and its beauty. Its steep, cobbled streets are car-free. Donkeys used to be the main form of transport for centuries, but they are now mainly used to give children rides around their meadow during the summer or can be seen posing for photographs in the street. Man-powered sledges transport all goods to the village, from groceries to furniture. It has a beautiful setting overlooking the Bristol channel and thick woods shelter it from the elements rendering its climate so mild that even the tenderest of plants thrive here. The village has two hotels with public houses, The New Inn in the heart of the village and The Red Lion Hotel on the quay. There is a Land Rover service in operation from Easter to October to transport those who do not want to walk back up the steep village street, for which there is a small charge.
Discover a wealth of information on travelling by Motorhome, Caravan or Boat when planning your holiday or trip of a lifetime
Which ever way you wish to travel, do it with style!