The Château d’Ételan is a historical building in the town of Saint-Maurice-d’Ételan in the Seine-Maritime département in Normandy, France. Situated on the right bank ot the Seine between the Brotonne and Tancarville bridges, the Château d’Ételan commands a site overlooking the final loop of the river Seine.
Originally designed as a castle, it was later converted to a 15th century flamboyant gothic mansion.
In 1494 Louis Picart, magistrate of Troyes and Tournaisis, friend and chamberlain of King Louis XII with whom he went to Italy, undertook the construction of the chateau.
In August 1563, the Regent, Catherine de’ Medici and the young King Charles IX visited Ételan, having just recaptured Le Havre from the British (27 July 1563). Thus it was in Ételan that Regent, advised byMichel de l’Hôpital decided to proclaim one year early the majority of the King (4 August 1563).
At Ételan she had drawn up, signed and sealed the letter proclaiming “the King’s of age” convening theParliament of Rouen to register the summons.
History or legend tells us that the following people have spent time at Ételan : Louis XI (6 June – 13 July 1475), Francis I (during the construction of le Havre), Catherine de’ Medici and Charles IX with the future kings Henry III and Henry IV, Marguerite de Navarre and Michel de l’Hôpital (August, 1563), Voltaire (1723–1724). André Caplet, composer and winner of the Grand Prix of Rome often stayed in Ételan and composed some of his works there includingMass for three voices.
The château is listed as a monument historique in the Historical Monuments File of the French Ministry of Culture. Completed in 1494 by Louis Picart, the Château d’Ételan was built on the site of a fortress which has been destroyed under the order ofLouis XI. Of the medieval construction, only the cellar, the castle wall and the guard house dating from 1350 remain.
Constructed in a flamboyant Gothic style, it is the contemporary with the Law Court and the hôtel de Bourgtheroulde in Rouen and as old as the Château de Clères. The building consists of two dwellings built from layers of bricks and stones and joined together by a magnificent stone staircase dating from the first Renaissance.
As integral part of the main building, the Chapel, dedicated to Mary Magdalene, include stained glass windows, wall paintings and statues which characterised the first Norman Renaissance.
Discover a wealth of information on travelling by Motorhome, Caravan or Boat when planning your holiday or trip of a lifetime
Which ever way you wish to travel, do it with style!