The castle of Château-Thierry is a castle in ruins, located on the town namesake , in the department of the Aisne . The ruins of the ancient castle and the hill on which they stand are subject to a classification as historical monuments since the 2 August 1932 .The castle occupies a secluded hill overlooking the long 45 m the valley of the Marne . The Marne, waterway axis, allowing the circulation of Paris to the east of the kingdom and the choir of Champagne , she crossed in that place a major north-south road in eastern Paris that linked the cities of Troyes and Soissons , on the road from the industrious Flanders to the rich Burgundy .
This is an isolated rock of 50 m in height stretching from east to west over a length of 350 m and a width varying from 60 to nearly 100 m . Distant about 200 m from the banks of the Marne, it served as the basis for the town of Chateau-Thierry, which was surrounded in his time a walled . The Road south to north, after crossing the river, entered the village, skirting the west the mound mound. There is little trace today of the building time of the Counts of Champagne, with itskeep, its church, cemetery, discounts, stables, ovens, shops, mills, not to mention the odd “well of the Abyss “, the underground and towers. A ditch crosses the hill to two-thirds to the east, behind which was erected a strong tower square of 30 m to 24 who commanded the crossing. It is in this protected area that were built, residence, chapel, buildings and uses. The yard holding the remaining third was walled in the xiii th century and completed a tour is a spur and bosses by Philip the Fair . In the xii th century were built fifteen rounds which were the main tower of the King (so named because at x e century the King of France Charles the Simple was imprisoned for four years by Hugh of Vermandois , then lord of the city) , then turn red (because the ceiling was paneled with red brick) and the Tower of Bouillon (Bouillon family had ruled the city for nearly two hundred years). The towers were spaced from one another about fifty yards.Access to the castle by the Porte Saint-Pierre, completed by the end of the xiv th century . Contrary to popular belief and the plaque contained therein,Joan of Arc coming back from Reims in the company of Charles VII after his coronation in 1429, did not pass by this door. In fact, Joan of Arc came through the door south of the city and exited through the north gate. She had to drive the English who occupied Chateau-Thierry for eight years, from1421 to 1429 ). At that time, Chateau-Thierry had four doors. Then, passing under an arch Gothic (destroyed in 1845 ) we reached the gate of St. John (which dates from the xiv th century ). In the castle there were successively the Church of Our Lady of the castle of xiii th century , then the gallery built in the xvi th century located slightly behind the Tower of Bouillon and the King’s Tower. This is where the King lodged Louis XIII when he came to reside at Chateau-Thierry in 1631 to 1635 . Richelieu had built a house at the other end.In the Middle Ages, the castle did not include less than 2000 men at arms.Archaeological excavations have revealed the presence of monumental kitchen dating from the late Middle Ages
Discover a wealth of information on travelling by Motorhome, Caravan or Boat when planning your holiday or trip of a lifetime
Which ever way you wish to travel, do it with style!