The Hospice Comtesse (also known as Hospice of Our Lady ) is a former hospice, most of the buildings date from the xvii th century . Its construction was the idea of Jeanne, Countess of Flanders in 1236 . Rue de la Monnaie in Old Lille , it houses a museum of Lille . The Hospice Comtesse was classified a historic monument in April 1923 and February 1991
Jeanne de Constantinople, Countess of Flanders, founded a hospital within the walls of the palace in 1936. The hospital was for the poor, the pilgrims and travellers passing by. There is nothing left of the original establishment due to a fire on the night of 4th April 1468.
The ward was rebuilt between 1468 and 1472 and the ground floor of the building of the religious community of the Augustians, between 1477 and 1482. Another fire in March 1649, destroyed the chapel and some of the monastic buildings. The new building along the Rue de la Monnaie was built between 1649-1650, the dormitory to house the community of sisters was added between 1649-1652, the building was completed between 1652-1657 by the addition of a new chapel.The building remained the main hospital of Lille until the 18th century. At the French Revolution , the patients were transferred to the Hôpital Saint- Sauveur. Countess Hospital, named in memory of its founder,and was converted into a hospice for the aged and orphaned after the First World War . The buildings of the xv th and xvii th century were classified Historical Monuments by a decree of April 14, 1923. Decommissioned in 1939, the hospital in 1943 was the subject of a long lease between the city of Lille and the administration of hospitals which provided the obligation to turn it into a museum. The facades and roofs of all the other buildings were classified as historic monuments by order of February 26, 1991.Today, the museum presents the social and cultural life in Lille and in the Netherlands in the xvii th and xviii th centuries.Access to the courtyard via a covered walkway to a beautiful ribbed vault in brick with white stone ribs. Above rises a square tower of brick. The building adjoining the hotel evokes the passage of Lille Renaissance and is noted by alternating narrow windows without mullions and others to cross- stones, and its many narrow doorways.To the east rises the building of the community: You can still visit the kitchen (where the walls are covered with tiles from Lille), and utility room, dining room, the apartments of the prioress and the old bakery. The court is closed on the west by the stone pavilion of 1724, built in the classical French style.Since 1969, the Hospice Comtesse houses a museum, founded by Georges-Henri Rivière . The ceramic tiled kitchen, dining room, furniture, art objects, portraits can find all the atmosphere of a Flemish house of xvi th century. In addition, the museum displays Flemish paintings and northern France, the tapestries of Guillaume Werniers as well as pieces of jewelry Lille. Exhibitions are held regularly.
Musée de l’Hospice Comtesse
32 rue de la Monnaie – 59800 Lille
Tel. 33 (0) 3 28 36 84 00 / Fax 33 (0) 3 28 36 87 07
Access: Metro and bus lines Rihour 3, 6 and 9
Opening hours daily from 10.00 to 12.30 and from 14.00 to 18.00. Closed Monday morning and all day Tuesday.
Discover a wealth of information on travelling by Motorhome, Caravan or Boat when planning your holiday or trip of a lifetime
Which ever way you wish to travel, do it with style!