The Most Beautiful Villages of Wallonie
A Guarantee of Quality, Awareness and Development
“The Most Beautiful Villages of Wallonia” Association came into being in 1994, on the initiative of Alain Collin, of Chardeneux (Nap-Leuze), at the time of the Tourism Seats of the Province of Namur and drew particular inspiration from the experience of “The Most Beautiful Villages of France”.
• TO GUARANTEE THE AUTHENTICITY OF THE NETWORK’S VILLAGES by building an associative and cultural dynamic around a DEMAND FOR QUALITY.
• TO FORMULATE A SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT POLICY by basing itself on the presentation and protection of the architectural heritage of the network’s villages, and on an enhancement of the products relating to regional identity (products of the soil, local arts and crafts, cultural values, and so on and so forth).
• TO AMPLIFY AWARENESS OF THE NETWORK by supporting a policy of welcome reconciling resident comfort and visitor approval (examples: creation of a parking area, conversion of a public square into a convivial space, creation of a meeting centre in the village,…).The exercise also aims at achieving a better appreciation of the associative and cultural riches of rural Wallonia by conducting a policy of products and events (guided and commented walks, flavour circuits, bicycle circuits and so on) that enhances the villages’ quality of life.
• TO ENSURE RECOGNITION OF THE SPECIFICITY OF THE VILLAGES OF CHARACTER by the public authorities (European Union, State, Region, etc).
Admission conditions ?
The “The Most Beautiful Villages of Wallonia” network is built around the criterion of quality. This is found at every level, especially within the villages’ admission requirements:
• A rural character
• The existence of one or more monuments that are listed, or that could be in the near future,
• An architectural and town-planning heritage of value, appreciated through a series of criteria,
• A communal and/or associative will, authenticated by concrete acts of heritage presentation.
If you love the Most beautiful ‘Villages and Towns of Wallonie’ then you may also like to check out our own ideas for the most beautiful Villages and Towns in the countries below ….
Discover a wealth of information on travelling by Motorhome, Caravan or Boat when planning your holiday or trip of a lifetime
Which ever way you wish to travel, do it with style!