The City of Liverpool is fortunate to have two beautiful Cathedrals, The Metropolitan Cathedral Church of Christ the King, a Roman Catholic cathedral, and the Anglican Cathedral Church of Christ . They are situated about 0.5 miles (o.8km) apart, and sit either end of Hope Street which takes its name from William Hope, a local merchant whose house stood on the site now occupied by the Philharmonic Hall, and was named long before either cathedral was built.
The Roman Catholic Cathedral was designed by architect Fredrick Gibbert, construction began in 1962 and took five years.Earlier designs for a Catholic cathedral in Liverpool had been proposed in 1853, 1933, and 1953, but none were completed.Following the purchase of the present 9-acre (36,000 m2) site at Brownlow Hill in 1930, Sir Edwin Lutyens (1869–1944) was commissioned to provide a design which would be an appropriate response to the Giles Gilbert Scott-designed Neo-gothic Anglican cathedral then being built further along Hope Street.Lutyens’ design was intended to create a massive structure that would have become the second-largest church in the world. It would have had the world’s largest dome, with a diameter of 168 feet (51 m) compared to the 137.7 feet (42.0 m) diameter on St. Peter’s Basilica inVatican City. Building work based on Lutyens’ design began on Whit Monday, 5 June 1933, being paid for mostly by the contributions of working class Catholics of the burgeoning industrial port. In 1941 the restrictions of World War II wartime and a rising cost from £3 million to £27 million (£991 million as of 2011), forced construction to stop. In 1956 work recommenced on the crypt, which was finished in 1958. Thereafter, Lutyens’ design for the Cathedral was considered too expensive and was abandoned with only the crypt complete.After the ambitious design by Lutyens fell through, Adrian Gilbert Scott, brother of Giles Gilbert Scott (architect of the Anglican Cathedral), was commissioned in 1953 to work on a smaller cathedral design with a £4 million budget (£83 million as of 2011). He proposed a scaled-down version of Lutyens’ building, retaining the massive dome. Scott’s plans were criticised and the building did not go ahead.
Liverpool Cathedral is the Church of England cathedral of the Anglican Diocese of Liverpool, built on St James’ Mount in the city centre of Liverpool, England and is the seat of the Bishop of Liverpool. Its official name is the Cathedral Church of Christ in Liverpool but it is dedicated to Christ and the Blessed Virgin. The total external length of the building, including the Lady Chapel, is 189 metres (620 ft) making it the longest church building that is a cathedral in the world, however its internal length is 146 metres (479 ft).Liverpool Cathedral occupies a total area of 9,687 square metres (104,270 sq ft) and was built mainly of sandstone quarried from the Liverpool suburb of Woolton. The cathedral’s belltower is the largest, and also one of the tallest in the world , rising to a height of 100.8 metres (331 ft). It houses the highest (67 m (220 ft)) and heaviest (31 short tons (28 t)) ringing peal of bells in the world.The Rt Rev John Charles Ryle was installed as the first Bishop of Liverpool in 1880, but the diocese had no cathedral, merely a “pro-cathedral” in the rather ordinary parish church of St Peter’s, Liverpool. Following much debate, church and civic leaders agreed that a new cathedral should be built and in 1902 held an open competition to select a design.For architects, this was a very significant event; not only was it to be one of the largest building projects of the 20th century, but this was only the third opportunity to build an Anglican cathedral in England following the Reformation of the 16th century (St. Paul’s Cathedral being the first, rebuilt from scratch after the Great Fire of London in 1666, and Truro Cathedral being the second, begun in the 19th century).The competition attracted over 100 entries including designs from noted architects such as Charles Rennie Mackintosh and Charles Herbert Reilly.
In 1903 the assessors, George F. Bodley and Norman Shaw, selected a proposal submitted by the 22-year-old student Giles Gilbert Scott despite the fact that he had no previous buildings to his credit. The choice of winner was even more contentious with the cathedral committee when it was discovered that Scott was a Roman Catholic, but the decision stood. (Ironically and conversely, the original architect of the Roman Catholic cathedral in Liverpool, Sir Edwin Lutyens, was an Anglican.)The Lady Chapel was the first part of the cathedral to be completed. It is noticeably more elaborate than the rest of the cathedral and retains features of Scott’s original Gothic design, whilst also showing the influence of George Frederick Bodley.Although young, Scott was steeped in ecclesiastical design and well versed in the Gothic revival style with his grandfather, George Gilbert Scott, and father both designing numerous churches. Due to Scott’s inexperience, the cathedral committee appointed Bodley to oversee the detailed architectural design and building work. Bodley and Scott’s collaboration, however, was a stormy one, with Scott reportedly verging on resignation before Bodley’s death in 1907.The foundation stone was laid by King Edward VII in 1904, with the first element, the Lady Chapel, opening in 1910. It was at this time that Scott, free of Bodley and growing in confidence, submitted an entirely new design for the remaining (main) part of the structure. While Scott’s original design was based on Durham Cathedral and had two towers at the west end, the revised plan called for a single central, exceptionally tall tower topped with a lantern. At the same time Scott changed the style somewhat, losing much of the Gothic detailing and introducing a significantly more modern, monumental style, even incorporating elements from Rennie Mackintosh’s competition entry. The cathedral committee approved the new plans, which also made the cathedral’s interior much more spacious. The tower was named after the Vestey family who made the largest financial contribution to it and therefore it was completed and topped out decades before the western nave was completed. On the completion of the altar, the church was consecrated in 1924, but regular services were not held until 1940. Construction of the tower was finished in 1942, but the Second World War and inflation hindered the work and the completion of the building only came in 1978: too late for Scott, who had died in 1960.
Official website for Christ the King – www.liverpoolmetrocathedral.org.uk
Official website for Liverpool Cathedral – www.liverpoolcathedral.org.uk
Discover a wealth of information on travelling by Motorhome, Caravan or Boat when planning your holiday or trip of a lifetime
Which ever way you wish to travel, do it with style!