San Bernadino Pass standing at 2,066m at the far eastern side of the Western Alps connects the Hinterrhein and the Mesolcina (Misox) valleys between Thusis (Graubünden) and Bellinzona (Ticino). San Bernadino Pass is not to be confused with the Great St Bernard Pass or the Little St Bernard Pass. A road for Vehicles was opened in 1770, as before that it was an important mule track from before the fifteenth century. The San Bernadino Tunnel ( 6.6km or 4.1m long) was opened in 1967 to reduce traffic on the pass, due to this, the pass is only open in the summer months now. the Tunnel finishes at the Town of San Bernadino in the canton of Graubünden.
Location – Graubünden, Switzerland
Height – 2,066 m (6,778 ft)
San Bernadino Town
San Bernardino is a mountainous village in the canton of Graubünden in Switzerland. It is the southern entry point to the San Bernardino tunnel, that complemented the road over the San Bernardino Pass in 1967, opening a new all-year-round road to crossing the alps. The village is part of the municipality of Mesocco. The language spoken is Italian, one of the three official languages in the canton of Graubünden. The church dates from around 1450, only years before the Viamala gorge bridge was opened for traffic, multiplying traffic across the pass.
Lagh Doss (Lagh Doss is a lake at San Bernardino in the Val Mesolcina of the Grisons, Switzerland. It is located at an elevation of 1652 m. The site is listed in the Federal Inventory of Raised and Transitional Bogs of National Importance.) is located close to the village. The municipality encloses Val Curciusa, a valley lying north of Bocchetta di Curciusa and therefore emptying its waters towards the Rhine river and the North Sea instead of the Adria as in most Italian spoken areas of the canton of Graubünden.
Discover a wealth of information on travelling by Motorhome, Caravan or Boat when planning your holiday or trip of a lifetime
Which ever way you wish to travel, do it with style!