Bojnice Castle (Slovak: Bojnický zámok, Hungarian: Bajmóc) is a castle in Bojnice, Slovakia. It hosts the single most popular museum in Slovakia and has featured in many movies.
Bojnice Castle was first mentioned in written records in 1113, in a document held at the Zobor Abbey. Originally built as a wooden fort, it was gradually replaced by stone, with the outer walls being shaped according to he uneven rocky terrain. Its first owner was Máté Csák, who received it in 1302 from the King Ladislaus V of Hungary. Later, in the 15th century, it was owned by King Matthias Corvinus, who gave it to his illegitimate son John Corvinus in 1489. Matthias liked to visit Bojnice and it was here that he worked on his royal decrees. He used to dictate them under his beloved linden tree, which is now known as the “Linden tree of King Matthias”. After his death the castle became the property of the Zapolya family. The Thurzos, the richest family in the northern Kingdom of Hungary (now Slovakia), acquired the castle in 1528 and undertook its major reconstruction. The former fortress was turned into a Renaissance castle. From 1646 on, the castle’s owners were the Palffys, who continued to rebuild the castle.
Finally, the last famous castle owner from the Palffy family, John Palffy (1829-1908), made a complex romantic reconstruction from 1888 to 1909 and created today’s beautiful imitation of French castles of the Loire valley. He not only had the castle built, but also was the architect and graphic designer. He utilized his fine artistic taste and love for collecting pieces of art. He was one of the greatest collectors of antiques, tapestries, drawings, paintings and sculptures of his time. After his death and long quarrels, his heirs sold many precious pieces of art from the castle and then, on 25 February 1939, sold the castle, the health spa, and the surrounding land to Ján Ba?a (of the shoe firm Bata). After 1945, when Bata’s property was confiscated by the Czechoslovak government, the castle became the seat of several state institutions. On 9 May 1950, a huge fire broke out in the castle, but it was rebuilt at government expense. After this reconstruction, a museum specializing in the documentation and presentation of the era of architectural neo-styles was opened here.
The castle is renowned for its attractions, including the popular Castle Fairytale, the International Festival of Ghosts and Spirits and the Summer Music Festival. The romantic castle is also a popular location for filming fairy tale movies, such asFantaghirò. In 2006, the castle attracted about 200,000 visitors
Official Website – http://www.bojnicecastle.sk/
- In the summer season from 1 May to 30 September 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Out of the summer season from 1 October to 30 April 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
Pause: 12:00 to 12:30 o’clock
Open every day except of Monday.
In June, July, August and September open every day.