The Palace on the Water also called the ?azienki Palace (Pa?ac ?azienkowski) and the Palace on the Island (Pa?ac na Wyspie), was built in the 17th century by Tylman van Gameren for Stanis?aw Herakliusz Lubomirski. Between 1772 and 1793 it was remodeled byDomenico Merlini for King Stanis?aw August Poniatowski, who made it his residence.
The original bathhouse was built in a Chinese style. The building, now a beautiful mixture of architectural styles, was then graced with reliefs and painted Dutch tiles
The palace’s furniture and paintings belong to the Classicist style. The building is dominated by an attika supported by columns, and featuring statues of mythological figures.
The palace stands on an artificial island in ?azienki Lake, and is connected to the rest of the park by two arcaded bridges. The long ?azienki Lake is divided by the palace into two parts, a smaller northern lake and a larger southern one.
The palace’s ground floor includes the “Bacchus room,” royal baths, a ballroom, a portrait gallery, the Solomon Room, a rotunda with figures of Polish kings, a lower picture gallery which contains minor works by Rubens and Rembrandt, and a chapel. Also on the ground floor is a dining room which hosted the famous “Thursday dinners” to which Stanis?aw August Poniatowski invited leading artists, writers and politicians.
The first floor contains the royal apartments, an upper picture gallery, a balcony room, the king’s study, the royal bedchambers, a cloakroom, and an officer’s room. The Palace on the Water was burned after the 1944 Warsaw Uprising by the Germans but German plans to blow up the palace were never carried out. It was rebuilt after World War II.