Kristiansten Fortress – Kristiansten Festning is located on a hill east of the city of Trondheim in Sør-Trøndelag county, Norway. It was built after the city fire of Trondheim in 1681 to protect the city against attack from the east. Construction was finished in 1685. It fulfilled its purpose in 1718 when Swedish forces laid siege against Trondheim. The fortress was decommissioned in 1816 by king Charles XIV John.
This fort was built after the great city fire in 1681, and now proudly stands guard over the city centre. Enjoy a spectacular view over Trondheim and its surroundings, the fjord and the mountains.
From its strategic high ground the fortress played an important role in repelling invading Swedish forces in 1718, an interesting part of our history you can learn more about by visiting the fortress.
From the fortress, there is a spectacular view over Trondheim and its surroundings, the fjord and the mountains. Under the occupation from 1940 to 1945, the fortress was used as a place of execution for Norwegian members of the Resistance. A plaque has been erected in their memory.
The fortress has a cafeteria which is offering snacks and other refreshments (open every day during the tourist season).
The gates of the fortress are open while the flag is raised, but the buildings and rooms inside are open only from June to August. Guided tours outside opening hours may be arranged.