175 g caster sugar
½tsp vanilla extract
85 g butter
75 ml milk
125 g plain flour
½tsp ground cinnamon
2 ¼ tsp baking powder
2 cooking apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C – Gas 6. Line the sides and base of a 20 x 20 cm square cake tin with baking paper.
2. Whisk the eggs, caster sugar and vanilla extract in a large bowl until the mixture is thick and light (this will take about 5 minutes).
3. Melt the butter in a saucepan with the milk, then pour onto the eggs, whisking all the time. Sift in the flour, cinnamon and baking powder and fold carefully into the batter so that there are no lumps of flour left. Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and smooth the surface.
4. Arrange the apple slices over the batter. (They will sink to the bottom.) Sprinkle over a tablespoon of sugar and bake in the oven for ten minutes, then reduce the oven temperature to 180°C – Gas 4 and bake for a further 20–25 minutes or until well risen and golden brown.
5. Remove the cake from the oven and allow to cool in the tin. Cut into squares and serve warm with cream.
Discover a wealth of information on travelling by Motorhome, Caravan or Boat when planning your holiday or trip of a lifetime
Which ever way you wish to travel, do it with style!