The rugged and attractive island of Sicily is separated from the mainland region of Calabria by the 5 km Straits of Messina and is the largest one in the Mediterranean Sea. The famous Mount Etna is Europe’s highest and most active volcano. Sicily is filled with beautiful scenery from long stretches of sandy beaches to the mountains and hills further inland.
Sicily has a rich and unique culture, especially with regard to the arts, music, literature, cuisine, architecture and language. The Sicilian economy is diversified. The agriculture sector is significant with citrus fruits (mainly oranges and lemons), olives and olive oil, grapes and wine. Tourism and real estate are economically important for the island. Sicily also holds importance for archeological and ancient sites such as the Necropolis of Pantalica, the Valley of the Temples and Selinunte.
Provinces of Sicily
- Agrigento Province
- Caltanissetta Province
- Catania Province
- Enna Province
- Messina Province
- Palermo Province
- Ragusa Province
- Syracuse Province
- Trapani Province
World Heritage Sites
- Archeological park Valle dei Templi of Agrigento, since 1997.
- Villa Romana del Casale of Piazza Armerina inscribed in 1997.
- The Aeolian Islands (Natural site) inscribed 2000.
- Late Baroque Towns of the Val di Noto (South-Eastern Sicily) since 2002.
- Syracuse and the Rocky Necropolis of Pantalica since 2005
Because many different cultures settled, dominated or invaded the island, Sicily has a huge variety of archeological sites. Also, some of the most notable and best preserved temples and other structures of the Greek world are located in Sicily.
Here is a short list of the major archeological sites:
- Sicels/Sicans/Elymians: Segesta, Eryx, Cava Ispica, Thapsos, Pantalica.
- Greeks: Syracuse, Agrigento, Selinunte, Gela, Kamarina, Himera, Megara Hyblaea, Naxos, Heraclea Minoa,
- Phoenicians: Motya, Soluntum, Marsala.
- Romans: Piazza Armerina, Centuripe, Taormina.
- Arabs: Palermo, Mazara del Vallo.
Discover a wealth of information on travelling by Motorhome, Caravan or Boat when planning your holiday or trip of a lifetime
Which ever way you wish to travel, do it with style!