130 km of coast, 23 marinas, 25 docks, 15,000 berths and 100 nautical events during the year
From the mouth of the Tagliamento River to the marina of Porto San Rocco in Muggia, through long sandy beaches and the splendid Grado and Lignano lagoons, all the way to the Gulf of Trieste which has one of the most intriguing rocky shorelines in the Adriatic, Friuli Venezia Giulia stretches for 130 km of coastline. If, on the other hand, you prefer the open sea, the region’s 23 marinas and over 25 docks offer you a total number of berths which is among the highest in the Mediterranean, making this the ideal starting point for any kind of boat trip. The regional facilities offer many high quality services, equipped moorings for mega yachts too and all kinds of land entertainment and comforts.
Friuli Venezia Giulia is the perfect destination for sea lovers. Tourists or yachtsmen, beginners or old salt, when you dock in the regional marinas you have a properly organised system of the highest quality at your disposal. Boating enthusiasts will find 15,000 berths, services and fully equipped moorings for boats of all sizes, and specialised boatyards. Friuli Venezia Giulia also means safety for yachtsmen: not only sailing on calm waters, but also having at your disposal a network of businesses and craftsmen specialized in building and repairing all kinds of boats, from large cruisers to high-performance hulls and wooden boats, providing suitable assistance to boat lovers who want to venture into seas frequented by the most famous international skippers.
Over 100 important nautical events take place in the region every year.
Nautical events you shouldn’t miss
- International Three Gulf Week – Sailing and entertainment events taking place in Muggia and in the Gulfs of Izola and Portoroz in Slovenia. The week includes the “borderless” Muggia-Portoroz-Muggia regatta between Italy and Slovenia.
- Barcolana – Autumn Cup – On the second Sunday of October the Gulf of Trieste becomes the stage for the world’s largest regatta (number of participants). An exhibit that fills the gulf with 2,000 boats of all sizes, from hi-tech hulls to the tiniest sail boats. www.barcolana.it
- Nautilia – Second hand Boat Show – This event takes place in Aprilia Marittima di Latisana at the end of October. The special feature of this show is that the boats are in dry dock; the event brings together over 15,000 visitors and dozens of boat dealers from Italy and abroad. www.nautilia.org
- Graisana – Two events in one: on one hand the traditional regatta, on the other a date for your yachting diary. The two are linked by a rich programme of cultural and food and wine events.
Did you know that…
- Enjoy water sports in Friuli Venezia Giulia! Discover the nautical village of Lignano, kitesurf in Grado and challenge the bora, Trieste’s typical wind, with full sails on the coast of Barcola; dive and explore the seafloor of the wonderful WWF Marine Reserve of Miramare Castle and Sistiana bay.
- “LIVE Nautica” has arrived, a new mobile app for iOS and Android, dedicated to Nautical Tourism in Friuli Venezia Giulia, which will allow sailors to stay up-to-date with information and geographical references to help with navigation, tourism and exploration of the territory.
Discover a wealth of information on travelling by Motorhome, Caravan or Boat when planning your holiday or trip of a lifetime
Which ever way you wish to travel, do it with style!