Discovering the secrets of the countryside Rural villages, local products and ancient crafts. This is the place to go to for those who are curious, for those who are particularly dynamic, for anyone who wants to pack a multitude of experiences into a single holiday, in a region that is accessible from north to south and east to west in less than two hours driving. The abundance of different landscapes and microclimates captured between the mountains and the sea is complemented by a full programme of events and endless opportunities to satisfy your taste for exploration. There is a whole world to discover that will tempt your fancy: food and wine tours, crafts that have never been lost, archaeological sites, rural and mediaeval hamlets, secret castles, waterside tracks and ancient mills, historical re-enactments and timeless rituals.
Friuli Venezia Giulia has its own special kind of hospitality, too. A wide range of alternative accommodations are available to dive into authentic rural life. For instance, you might choose to stay in an agritourism farm or one of the rustic malghe. Amongst the alternative kinds of accommodation you can find bed&breakfasts as well as “Albergo Diffuso” – an innovative concept of accommodation developed in Friuli Venezia Giulia – that lets you combine the service of a hotel with the freedom of a holiday apartment. Visitors stay in ancient houses in small towns or villages, which have been perfectly restored, decorated and equipped in the typical mountain tradition, but with access to all the services of a hotel, at extremely competitive prices. Friuli Venezia Giulia’s Bed&Breakfasts have a renewed quality system that allows the accommodation, at the same facility, of small groups of maximum eight people. Tourists may choose among three categories: “standard”, “comfort” or “superior”.
Places and traditions worth discovering
- Aquileia, a metropolis of the Roman Empire, is a true open-air archaeological museum, a UNESCO World Heritage Site since 1998.
- Spilimbergo, capital of mosaic art, offers courses at the prestigious Mosaic School of Friuli.
- Sacile, the “garden of the Serenissima Republic of Venice”, divided in 2 islands linked by bridges and canals.
- Palmanova, the ideal fortress town enclosed in a 9-pointed star fort, National Monument.
- Villa Manin of Passariano, a well-known Venetian residence where Napoleon signed the Treaty of Campoformido. Today it is a renowned venue for international exhibitions.
- Cividale del Friuli, capital of the first Lombard Duchy in Italy, whose itinerary is since June 2011 a
- UNESCO World Heritage.
- Palù di Livenza one of the oldest paleolithic sites in northern Italy, listed as a UNESCO “Prehistoric pile dwelling site in the Alps” in 2011.
- Poffabro, Cordovado, Fagagna, Clauiano, Gradisca d’Isonzo and Valvasone are included among the “Borghi più belli d’Italia” (most beautiful Italian hamlets).
- Forni di Sopra, Raveo, Sauris, Sutrio, Ampezzo, Camino al Tagliamento, Comeglians, Erto e Casso, Lauco, Ovaro, Prato Carnico, Preone, Ravascletto and Socchieve are authentic towns of Friuli Venezia Giulia, places where you can experience genuine feelings.
- Val Resia, where language and traditions have remained unchanged for almost fifteen centuries.
- The land of castles in the Friuli hills, covered in history and ancient manors.
- Looking for osmize on the Karst: private houses of winemakers, where it is possible to taste typical local dishes
(personal production). How can you find them? Watch for the branch (frasca)!
- Test your palate on a food and wine tasting tour along the roads of wine and flavours such as Collio in Vespa.
- San Daniele del Friuli, the land of prosciutto (cured ham) with the highest number of tasting centres in Italy. The
town’s splendid historic centre houses the oldest public library in Italy.
- Typical delicacies from Cividale and the Natisone Valleys: salami flavoured with garlic or cooked in vinegar with
onion, struchi and gubana, an ancient desert filled with dried fruit, candied peels and spices.
Discover a wealth of information on travelling by Motorhome, Caravan or Boat when planning your holiday or trip of a lifetime
Which ever way you wish to travel, do it with style!