Rastatt is located on the Murg River and very near to the Rhine River, which has its source from the northern part of the black forest. Founded in 1084, Rastatt has become a significant trading centre for centuries and is now considered a modern, cosmopolitan baroque jewel with a lively atmosphere. The town centre is characterised by one of the most beautiful baroque castles in Germany. Many more significant historical buildings scatter the town centre such as the town hall, city gate, churches, chapels and fountains which all add to the feeling that you are stepping back in time to the 18th century. Favourite castle, which sits in the midst of an English style park and houses many treasures invites you in to experience its beauty. Rastatt is also home to a wide range of cultural delights and is also home to the biggest international theatre festival in Germany, the Tête à Tête.
The location of Rastatt allows you to go out and visit the neighbouring villages and towns and vineyards, the romantic valley of the river Murg or Alsace in France. You can also also arrange your trips on the Rhine from Rastatt. Rastatt was an important place of the War of the Spanish Succession (Treaty of Rastatt) and the Revolutions of 1848 in the German states. For about 20 years previous to 1866, the fortress of Rastatt was occupied by the troops of the German Confederation. The Baden revolution of 1849 began with a mutiny of soldiers at Rastatt in May 1849 under Ludwik Mieroslawski and Gustav Struve, and ended there a few weeks later with the capture of the town by thePrussians. For some years, Rastatt was one of the strongest fortresses of the German empire, but its fortifications were dismantled in 1890.
Built in 1990 for corporate events, conventions, exhibitions and concerts with international stars. With 1100 seats and standing for 2500 and grounds that can hold up to 10,000 people for open air evnts.
2. Einsiedelner Chapel
Einsiedeln is a pilgrimage destination in the Swiss canton of Schwyz. In 1710 a replica of the gate was built and given to Countess Franziska Sibylla Augusta, as she had visited numerous times. Each side depicts different things.
Countess Franziska Sibylla Augusta in 1722 decided to build herself a gazebo on the model of a similar building in the park of Nymphenburg Palace in Munich. It was used as a playhouse for the children and today is used to show art.
4. Water Tower
Close proximity to Pagodenburg and Einsiedelner Chapel a water tower was built in 1901 to help with the water needs of the town as the water house was no longer large enough. In 1973 a cafe and restaurant was added.
5. Post office
The building complex was originally built as Margrave’s Brauhaus. 1715 attracted a Piaristenpatres. While the federal fortress time the building served as “William Barracks” and today it is used by Deutsche Post.
The Museumstor (Rossi Gate) was built around 1705 and already separated the palace gardens of the bourgeois city.
7. Karlsruhe Goal
The crowned with battlements Karlsruhe gate was one of the main gates into the city and secured the road to the north. The Karlsruhe gate is located at the bridge Franz. A few meters away is the entrance to the dungeons of the “Baston 27”
8. Castle Garden
The park was first designed by Rossi in 1700, however it never really worled and new pland were drew up in 1772, After the first World War it was used as public gardens, and in 1988 the baroque designs were reinitroduced and leave it what it is today.
9. Castle Church
The castle church was from 1719 to 1723 as a castle and built Hofpfarrkirche “Holy Cross” by Countess Franziska Sibylla Augusta court architect Michael Ludwig Rohrer. It is the grave lay the Margravine. The grave stone Sibylla Augusta bears the inscription chosen by herself: “embeds / TO / DIE / GROSE / sinner / AUGUSTA / MDCCXXXIII”
10. Ludwig-Wilhelm Gymnasium
Built in 1738 to 1747 as an independent school of Johann Peter Ernst Rohrer, which is still used as a scientific language school. In addition, located in the premises of the Ludwig-Wilhelm Gymnasium the Historic Library.
11. Protestant Church
The exterior plain church originally belonged to the former Franciscan monastery, which was built in the years 1702 to 1714 according to the plans of Rastatt Castle architect Domenico Egidio Rossi and under the direction of architect Lorenzo de Sale
The sober facade are from the 18th and 19th century, the interior, with a large, ornate fountain courtyard is modern: Today there is a public library, music school, children’s and youth club and basement theater.
Mentioned in records in 1207 with high-Gothic parish church choir Rastatt. Through the chaos of war of the 17th Century, the church was severely damaged and dilapidated. In 1771 it was after a redesign and renovation dedicated to Blessed Margrave Bernhard of Baden and until the mid-19th Century as a cemetery chapel.The Bernharduskirche nowadays serves as a house of worship.
14. Police Building
Former hunting and armory. In this building on the lower Herrenstraße in 1971 the department of police headquarters has moved. Once were to the rooms of the count Hunting and armory, were kept in the weapons and military equipment to the margrave’s guard unit.
The preserved a functional building (magazine) from the fortress time. Here the urban gallery Fruchthalle has moved to present the remarkable collections of the city can: Art in Baden 1945. Besides, an ice cream parlor located on the ground floor as well as departments of the Government in the upper rooms of the fruit hall.
16. Pfeiffer wells
he Pfeiffer fountain was created in 1901 at the Trade Fair. The fountain was donated by the citizens coming from Rastatt from Mannheim to the prosperity of the area.
17. Town hall
In 1716 the foundation stone was laid for the town hall. In 1721 the first phase, designed by Michael Ludwig Rohrer was completed (1683-1732). 1750 followed by the cultivation Peter Ernst Rohrer (1687-1762), younger brother of Michael Ludwig Rohrer. The gable front facing the front of the Church of St. Alexander, and in between the Market Square with its two wells
1723 and 1728 Rastatt was hit by earthquake, which devastated parts of the town and castle. 1739 was built therefore the saints Alexius of Edessa, the patron saint against earthquakes, lightning and severe weather. A monument in the form of a fountain in the market square Of his prayers were hoping the Rastatt protect against further earthquakes
19. Johannes Nepomuk wells
The Johannes Nepomuk fountain located on the square in front of the Church of St. Alexander. It is built on a deep well, once used for water supply. St. Nepomuk is the patron saint of Beichtgeheimnisse, but also bridges, skippers and rafters. He also is in Bohemia, the homeland of the Margravine Sibylla Augusta, much admired.
20. Church of St. Alexander
Early 1791 on the specific urban planning by Rossi’s place the foundations of the Catholic Church had been laid. Not until 1756, however, after designs by Peter Ernst Rohrer began construction. 1764, by the citizenry often required city church was finally consecrated.
As 1769 Margrave Bernhard of Baden was beatified took the last reigning Margrave of Baden-Baden line between August Georg (1761-1770), that was a reason to build the top of the Imperial Road a monument. After his death Countess Maria Victoria finished 1776 the plant. The fountain shows the heroic ideal figure of a youthful flags oscillator.
22. City Museum
Directly opposite the Schloss Rastatt in the Lord Street are two surviving Kavalierhäuser. One is the Vogelsche house, which now houses the town museum.
23. Rossi house
Only two of the former Kavalierhäuser at the lock directly opposite Mr. Street are obtained: the current museum and its counterpart, the so-called Rossi-house, which was created in 1705 after plans Domenico Egidio Rossi.
24. Baroque residence / palace
In 1700 Margrave Ludwig Wilheim of Baden Baden contacted the famous Italian Architect Domenico Egidio Rossi, to expand his hunting palace at Rastatt, on which he visualized a grand residence only matched by the Palace of Versaille