The Catholic Erfurt Cathedral is a 1200 year old church located on Cathedral Hill of Erfurt, in Thuringia, Germany. It is of a International Gothic style, and is also known as St Mary’s Cathedral, and is located, uniquely, on a hillside. The site where the Cathedral is now situated has been the location of many other church-like abuildings in history, such as a Romanesque basilica and a hall church. Martin Luther was ordained in the cathedral in 1507. The architecture of the Erfurt Cathedral is, mostly, of a Gothic styling, and exists from around the 14th and 15th centuries. There are many things of note as far as the architecture is concerned, not least the stained glass windows and furnishings of the interior of the cathedral. The central spire of the three towers that sit aloft the cathedral harbours the Maria Gloriosa which, at the time of its casting by Geert van Wou in 1497, was the world’s largest free-swinging bell. It is known to have purity and beauty of tone. The Cathedral is house to many rare and rich furnishings and sculptures, including the tomb of the bigamous Count von Gleichen, accompanied by both of his wives, a stucco altar, a bronze candelebra of Romanesque antiquity called Wolfram, the oldest free standing cast work in Germany, and, out on the porch, several statues of the Wise and Foolish Virgins.