Flensburg/Flensborg, is an independent town in the north of the German state of Schleswig-Holstein. Flensburg is the centre of the region of Southern Schleswig. After Kiel and Lübeck it is the third largest town in Schleswig-Holstein. In May 1945 Flensburg was the seat of the last government of Nazi Germany, the so-called Flensburg government led by Grand Admiral Karl Dönitz, which was in power from 1 May (Hitler’s death) until its dissolution on 23 May. The nearest larger towns are Kiel (86 km south) and Odense in Denmark (92 km northeast). Flensburg’s city centre lies about 7 km from the Danish border.
In Germany, Flensburg is known for
- the nationwide database of traffic violators
- its beer Flensburger Pilsener, also called “Flens“
- the centre of the Danish national minority in Germany
- the greeting Moin
- the large erotic mail-order companies Beate Uhse and Orion
- its handball team SG Flensburg-Handewitt
- the Naval Academy at Mürwik with its sail training ship Gorch Fock
Discover a wealth of information on travelling by Motorhome, Caravan or Boat when planning your holiday or trip of a lifetime
Which ever way you wish to travel, do it with style!