Rochlitz is a town in the district of Mittelsachsen, in the Free State of Saxony, Germany. The town is situated on a bend of the river Zwickauer Mulde and at the foot of Rochlitzer Berg, 26 km northwest of Chemnitz and 45 km from Leipzig or Zwickau. Rochlitz did not suffer damage in World War II. Therefore, despite some fires in past centuries, the historical structure of the town, many sacred buildings from the late Middle Ages, and residential buildings from the Renaissance era have been conserved. The historical configuration of the town, consisting of a market square with surrounding buildings, but without a network of streets, is rare for Saxony.
The neoclassicist town hall from 1828 forms the eastern termination of the market square with its patrician houses. St Cunigunde’s church, situated to the east and dating in its current form from 1417 to 1476, is a late Gothic hall church, as is St Peter’s church (1470-1499) which is situated to the south-west of the town centre towards the castle. Rochlitz Castle with its two towers and its Gothic chapel has externally maintained its appearance from the 14th and 15th century. The observation tower on Rochlitzer Berg was built in 1860 from the local “porphyry” stone and is named after King Frederick Augustus II of Saxony.
A Soviet memorial, built in 1958, stands on the former Platz der Deutsch-Sowjetischen Freundschaft where Soviet prisoners of war and forced labourers had been buried and whose remains were later moved to Chemnitz. Two Saxon post milestones, dated 1722, are located on the location of the former upper and lower town gates, the former stone having been renewed in 1820 using parts of a stone which stood in nearby Zettlitz. A quarter mile stone is fixed in a wall on Chemnitzer Straße 1. There also stands a reconstructed distance post of 1722, and a partly reconstructed milestone of 1860 stands near the road bridge across Zwickauer Mulde.