Halle is a city in the southern part of the German state Saxony-Anhalt. The University of Halle-Wittenberg is the largest university in Saxony-Anhalt and one of the oldest universities in Germany. Together with Leipzig, Halle is at the heart of the Central German Metropolitan Region. Halle is in the southern part of Saxony-Anhalt, along the river Saale.
During World War II, KZ-Außenlager Birkhahn, a subcamp of Buchenwald was in Halle, where prisoners from Poland, Czechoslovakia, the Soviet Union, France, Netherlands and other nations were forced to work in the Siebel aircraft plants, making combat aircraft. The plant was later dismantled. In Ammendorf, a large factory owned by Orgacid (de) produced mustard gas. Near the end of World War II, there were two bombing raids carried out against the town: the first on 31 March 1945, the second a few days later. The first attack took place between the railway station and the city’s centre, and the second bombing was in the southern district. It killed over 1,000 inhabitants and destroyed 3,600 buildings. Among them, the Market Church, St. George Church, the Old Town Hall, the City Theatre, historic buildings on Bruederstrasse and on Grosse Steinstrasse, and the city cemetery.
The Marktkirche Unser Lieben Frauen (“Market Church of Our Dear Lady”) is a church in the centre of the city of Halle, Saxony-Anhalt, Germany. It was built between 1529 and 1554 and is the most recent of the city’s medieval churches. In German, its official name is shortened to Liebfrauenkirche but it is also referred to as Marienkirche (St. Mary’s Church) and the Marktkirche (Market Church). Severely damaged in World War II, it was restored and today is a historic protected monument. The Market Church itself houses a library, the Marian Library (Marienbibliothek), which is considered to be one of the oldest and largest church libraries in Germany
The Moritzburg is a fortified castle in Halle (Saale), Germany. The cornerstone of what would later become the residence of the Archbishops of Magdeburg was laid in 1484; the castle was built in the style of the Early Renaissance. Since the end of the 19th century it has housed an arts museum which is recognised as being of national importance. The Moritzburg was the last of numerous castles built along the river Saale. Together with Burg Giebichenstein the city of Halle is therefore home to the oldest and the youngest of the Saale castles.
The Halloren Chocolate Factory is the oldest German chocolate factory. The first mention of the firm is recorded in 1804. The firm was founded in Halle, Saxony-Anhalt where its headquarters are today. The most famous product is the “Halloren-Kugeln”, or Halloren globes, which receive their name from the early salt workers, whose buttons the chocolates resemble. The brand was especially popular in the former German Democratic Republic and remained popular after reunification. The factory also features the Halloren Schokoladenmuseum (Halloren Chocolate Museum), which includes exhibits about the history of chocolate, chocolate making equipment, molds, and a view of the factory process.
The Halle Opera House is an opera house in Halle, Saxony-Anhalt. Originally named the Halle Town Theatre, the theatre was built in 1886. A bomb attack on 31 March 1945 destroyed much of the original building. Restorative work ensued a few years later, and the theatre reopened in 1951 under the name Landestheater Halle. In January 1992 it was renamed to its current title. The theatre is currently used for performances of opera, ballet, plays, and orchestral concerts. It is also the main performance venue for the annual summer Handel Festival held in the city.
The Technical Hallors and Saline Museum was founded in the buildings of the former Royal Prussian Saline, Halle upon Saale in 1967. Hallors had been members of a brotherhood of salt producers. The buildings of Saline are now the oldest witnesses of the industrial style architecture in Halle upon Saale. The earliest buildings were erected from 1719 to 1721. The oldest remaining part of the Saline, now designated as a Clock House, is the former Salt Store, a timber frame building from the early 18th century with a high ridge turret. Next to it is another Salt Store, a timber frame building from the 19th century, followed by a Simmer House from 1789 attached to the back-side. The latter is one of the oldest Simmer Houses in Germany.
Discover a wealth of information on travelling by Motorhome, Caravan or Boat when planning your holiday or trip of a lifetime
Which ever way you wish to travel, do it with style!