Landau in der Pfalz is a city on the Southern Wine Road in the Rhineland-Palatinate district of Germany. A university town which has long been a cultural centre and a market and shopping town. It is surrounded by vineyards and wine-growing villages of the Palatinate wine region. Landau lies east of the Palatinate Forest, direct on the German Wine Route.
The large main square, the Rathausplatz, is dominated by the Town Hall, Rathaus, and the Market Hall, Altes Kaufhaus. As a fortress the town had more tham its fair share of wars and fires and therefore there is less than a quarter of the original old town which survives today. The big fire of 1689 destroyed many of the old buildings but located north of the main square and east of Marktstrasse there are a few blocks which contain the old warehouse, the Frank-Loebsches Haus and the Chapel of St Catherine. The old warehouse, Kaufhaus, was the trade centre from the middle ages, the first known mention of it dates back to 1315, it was also used for socializing. In the 1990s it underwent renovation and was changed from a theatre into a cultural centre. There is little left of the huge fortification which protected the town but there are two remaining gatehouses The French Gate and the German Gate. The German Gate points north towards Germany and the size show how vast the ramparts would have been. The French Gate is the Better preserved of the two gates and faces France (Landau belonged to the French at the time this was built),it now houses a restaurant and is situated in the lively part of the town.The Frank-Loebsche House is a historic building in Landau . The house is named after its former owner, the Jewish Frank family-Loeb.Little is known about its construction but it is believed to have been built in the 15th – 17th centuries. The house was privately owned and in 1870 it was acquired by Zacharias Frank a great-grandfather of Anne Frank. In 1987 it was sold to the city and has since been used as an art and exhibition centre. There is a Reisemobil Stellplatz at the swimming baths in Landau with all facilities and electricity, payment also allows visit into the baths.