What could be better than a warming bowl of tomato soup following a day’s swimming, long treks along windswept seaside cliffs or an invigorating walk up mountain trails? Tomato soup is the original comfort food and is even better when home-made. Try this tasty recipe and see how simple it is to prepare and cook you won’t want to bother with tins again.
- Large Pan and lid
- Single burner
- Hand blender
- 3 – 4 tablespoons oil, olive oil would be best
- 2 carrots, thinly sliced or diced
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 sticks celery, finely chopped
- 2 tins x 400g tomatoes
- a few ripe fresh tomatoes
- 1½ litres chicken or vegetable stock
- a handful of fresh basil leaves
- Once blitzed with the hand blender add in a little fresh cream or fromage frais and swirl into the soup.
- Add a handful of crunchy croutons over the top of the soup before serving.
- To make your own home-made croutons is so easy and can be prepared and stored for a couple of days in an airtight container. Cut day-old bread into small cubes. Heat a little oil and butter in a heavy based frying pan. Add the bread cubes and fry until golden brown. Scoop out with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper. When cold store in an airtight container until needed.
Discover a wealth of information on travelling by Motorhome, Caravan or Boat when planning your holiday or trip of a lifetime
Which ever way you wish to travel, do it with style!