There are many variations for vegetable soup and you can use any combination of vegetables you have to hand, it is best to use seasonal vegetables. To vary soup you can also add diced, cooked chicken pieces, a tin of mixed beans for a more substantial soup or even some cheese (such as Stilton) can be added to a broccoli soup.
- Large pan and lid
- Single burner
- Hand blender, if you want to cream the soup and there is electric available
- 2-3 tablespoons of oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 stick celery, diced
- 500 g diced vegetables of your choice
- 900 ml stock (either Chicken or Vegetable) made up from a stock cube
Heat the oil in a pan and slowly start to cook the garlic, onion and celery but do not brown. Add the diced vegetables, cover and, on a gentle heat, sweat the vegetables until they are beginning to soften, stirring now and then to ensure they do not stick. Add the stock and bring up to the boil and simmer for 20 minutes until the vegetables are cooked and soft. The soup is delicious as it is and can be eaten straight away but if you have access to electricity and you enjoy your soup creamier then blitz with a hand blender and serve with chunks of crusty bread.
- You can replace half the stock with milk for creamier consistency.
- About 8-10 minutes before the end of cooking add a handful of small pasta such as macaroni and a tin of crushed tomatoes for a warming minestrone style soup.
- Diced potatoes are a great thickener and can be crushed down once cooked.
Discover a wealth of information on travelling by Motorhome, Caravan or Boat when planning your holiday or trip of a lifetime
Which ever way you wish to travel, do it with style!